Friday, July 13, 2007

To Redmond, or not to Redmond

So we took a trip to Portland a few weeks ago and came home aching to move back to Portland. We almost did it, really, almost. Our time in Redmond has been bittersweet. There are parts of this place that we would miss greatly, and there are things that I would love to forget. My vision is to someday plant a church in SE Portland, it is my favorite part of the city, and the neighborhood that I grew up going to church in. I kind of feel being in Redmond is part of my Pauline journey. Most of my Bible hero's spent time growing in the desert before they were ready for their ministries. Jesus, Paul, and Moses all spent time in the desert maturing into the leaders we know them to be. I feel like that is what we are doing.

Some really good things are happening:
  • I have a fantastic job - T-mobile treats their employees very well, my benefits are better than what Sarah would have as a teacher, I am promoting fast, and I have an opportunity to win a trip to Las Vegas for 4 days based on my performance!
  • We spend good quality time with Sarah's Mom and Step dad - we have not had as many opportunities of late, but every time I hang out with Herald we have discussions about spirituality. *please pray for Herald and Jean (and kids Hayley and Hunter), Herald is in a very serious level of alcoholism, at this point in his life if he were to stop drinking he would die of shock to his system, only hospitalized treatment will cure him, but he is not willing.
  • We are working on a church plant with some friends who went to Columbia College and Southwest. We are three families strong now and praying for opportunities to grow. This process is bursting with pain. I have taken more of a backseat/observer/follower role to the more wise and experienced leaders in our group. However I think we are going about his thing the wrong way, it has been a great experience for us, and we really love our new family.
We really miss Portland and more importantly our dear family and friends there, we will come home sometime, just not yet.

8 Comments:

At 10:36 AM , Blogger Kristi said...

We look forward to the day when your journey brings you back home to Portland. It just seems right to have your family here.

 
At 3:35 PM , Blogger Johnathan M. Thomas said...

It's been nine years away for me this August. I visit PDX and get drunk on all the friendships, consuming as much as I can each time. It's not just one bottle either... there are many to chose from.

I feel lifted and shafted. In my thirst for relationships, I drink until my stomach burst and I come away sick.

My question to myself is this... Is always as great as when I visit?

What would it be like to live, once again, in PDX? Would my life really be better, happier? Would my marriage be more than it is now? Would my children have "it" in their lives? (Unlike they do now)

I believe my visits skew my thoughts of my current life.

In the end I ask this one last final question...

Would you move there if all your friends you visit left PDX?

Answer that question and then look out your front door.

I love you man. I have been praying for you and your plant like you asked me too. It hasn't been everyday, but it's been many days this year.

peace.
johno~

 
At 5:11 PM , Blogger Ike Graul said...

Wouldn't venture to say what is best for you and yours, but your friends do live in Portland, and they miss you and they will come help pack the truck whenever you decide are ready.

[...tapping foot and staring at watch...]

Same goes for you, Johno.

 
At 9:08 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'll take my first trip back in September. I don't know what to expect of the trip. I do know that I miss Portland (the city itself and the people), but I also know that a really great thing is going here. I don't know if I'll ever end up back there, but I'm grateful for the season I did have there.

 
At 12:47 PM , Blogger Luke Coles said...

I always have thoughts of heading back. We will be visiting the beginning of Aug. and would love to see Y'all.

 
At 12:24 PM , Blogger Jason Hill said...

I'm planning to make Johno's question:

"Would you move there if all your friends you visit left PDX?"

moot. Because I'm not leaving Portland. And when everyone comes back you can drink me until your stomach hurts.

 
At 12:51 PM , Blogger Andrew Martin said...

Hey Wolfy... I think you are right when you say that this time is necessary. I learning similar lessons in my life right now too.

You know that God can and will use you wherever you are... but you also know that when (not if) you decide to move back to Portland, there will be much rejoicing.

God bless you in your struggle and know that you are truly blessed to have these options.

I miss your face too, so let me know when you are going to be back in town again :)

 
At 9:58 PM , Blogger Mitch Fewell said...

I wouldn't say that I miss your face, but I do understand the intoxicating effect that PDX has on the repeat visitor.

How are you man? Glad that I found your blog. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home