Thursday, July 05, 2007

Healing Power

By request, I post again:
Act 3:1One day Peter and John were going up to the temple at the time of prayer–at three in the afternoon.
Act 3:2 Now a man crippled from birth was being carried to the temple gate called Beautiful, where he was put every day to beg from those going into the temple courts.
Act 3:3 When he saw Peter and John about to enter, he asked them for money.
Act 3:4 Peter looked straight at him, as did John. Then Peter said, “Look at us!”
Act 3:5 So the man gave them his attention, expecting to get something from them.
Act 3:6 Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”
Act 3:7 Taking him by the right hand, he helped him up, and instantly the man's feet and ankles became strong.
Act 3:8 He jumped to his feet and began to walk. Then he went with them into the temple courts, walking and jumping, and praising God.
Act 3:9 When all the people saw him walking and praising God,
Act 3:10 they recognized him as the same man who used to sit begging at the temple gate called Beautiful, and they were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him.

As we work on panting a Church here in Central Oregon, I can't help but think that healing people is the key to ministry with Jesus. I have not yet discovered how to physically heal people, I think it takes more faith than I have. But I think we have a different ailment now than was in New Testament times. Physical hurting in most cases can be fixed with treatment from doctors. Our ailment is false sense of self. We struggle with understanding how we fit in with those around us. We all desire to be cool, and yet we make it so hard for others to feel accepted. I believe the gospel calls us to heal people, and I think that comes in the form of relationships. I don't have enough resources to feed all the hungry people in Redmond, nor do I think a meal will solve the true problems for those who are hungry. Being a friend and letting that person know that God cares about them, and I care about them is really what most people are hungry for. Even those who stuff themselves at every meal. So at our Church I am trying to convince people that they have the power to heal. Well, actually that Jesus has the power to heal, and we just need to get out of the way.

3 Comments:

At 11:55 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Good to hear from you.

I am discovering that in the way of healing (and here we are talking my own personal healing) that I have very little to offer. All my best attempts at healing are completely futile. Healing is a miracle work by our loving God. The "little" I can offer is faith. But even sometimes then I wonder if "my" faith has much less to do with me than I think it does.

 
At 4:36 PM , Blogger Luke Coles said...

Wish I could visit Y'all and your church. Good to see a post. Love ya Brother!

 
At 12:44 PM , Blogger Andrew Martin said...

Nice thoughts man. When you figure it out... let me know too :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home