Sunday, September 24, 2006

Oikos

I was privileged today, to attend the most awesome church I have ever been too. It was small, but very effective. We had but 6 people show up: Me, Sarah, Isaac, Andrew, Hannah, and a partial Moriyah. Service was around 10:30, in the living room. Dress code was (at least for me) pajamas. Isaac lead singing, Andrew lead the Lord's Supper, and I lead the discussion. This was an impromptu church service on the day of Sarah's birthday, born of the frustration I have been feeling to praise and worship in a community unbound by cultural expectations. I have not felt free to celebrate Jesus since we moved, until today. We clapped, danced, sang, and stomped. It was lively. We were preached to from Matthew chapter 4, the great temptation, and a challenging discussion followed. It was a day of liberation for me. My favorite part was being with people who are as interested in following Jesus as me. Even though I live with these people I had been blind to this attitude among them.

And so, I would like to publicly declare the opening of a new church in Redmond, Oregon: Oikos Church of Christ. Oikos (pronounced hoi-kos) means house or home. Or rather the community that you would find in one's house or home. I don't know if we will meet every Sunday, or once a month, or if we will ever meet again at all. But I think that the Kingdom revolution looks like dancing, singing, and praying children. Keep us in your prayers.

6 Comments:

At 7:59 AM , Blogger ewall said...

man i miss you guys so much! that sounds like a great church, i'd be down. i miss our lifegroup at y'all's house, and the gifts that you and sarah have together with people. blessings to you bro--

 
At 9:21 PM , Blogger Kristi said...

I'd go to your house church! But if you were here we wouldn't have to have a house church. Josh and I actually may look into some housechurches here in portland

 
At 12:10 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds wonderful and good.

 
At 12:42 PM , Blogger Luke Coles said...

Did you take up a collection? Sounds to me like true family of God. I miss ya Brother.

 
At 10:30 PM , Blogger J. B. said...

Hey! I'm getting smart at Greek! I actually know what Oikos means...house. This is exciting to me...

 
At 11:04 PM , Blogger Andrew Martin said...

Hey man!!!

You guys rock and I miss ya'll a bunch... and yes I still know how to use the internet... much to everyone's surprise.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home