Friday, January 20, 2006

Imaginary Lord

In the book Blue Like Jazz, Donald Miller writes: "It feels as if believing in God was no more rational than having an imaginary friend." I think that Don has never had an imaginary friend. After I read this it clicked - I think deep faith requires wild imagination.

I
had an imaginary friend once, her name was Honey. She was a live-in girl friend of sorts. We did everything together, I even remember bringing an extra chair to the diner table for her, which my parents tolerated. We were very close, I told her everything about me. She new what I liked and what I didn't, what I felt, and what my mood was. It was hard to get her to be as open as me, but regardless we shared a certain intimacy.

I think my relationship with Honey has prepared me for a deeper understanding of a God who is like a genie in a lamp - "Enormous cosmic powers, in a itty-bitty living space." God's all encompassing existence does not keep him from being my best (imaginary) friend, in who I will confide my likes, dislikes, feelings, and deepest secrets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home