Sunday, November 27, 2005

Hope in "Extreme Makeover"


I believe our world is constantly distracted by the "car crash" syndrome. We are attracted to disasters. When ever there is an accident on the freeway, no matter what lane or direction the accident is in, the entire community of vehicles is slowed to a crawl until they are past the car crash. Again, it doesn't matter if the crash is in your lane, or even on your side of the freeway, everyone stops to look. We seemed to be amazed by the possibility of destruction. Will I get to see a dead person? How thrashed are the cars? Oh, look is that bio-hazardous waste seeping into the ground? COOL!!! I see this most tangibly manifested in the types of reality tv shows that the networks put on. "Nanny 911", "The Biggest Loser", and "The Swan" are all marketing to people with this syndrome.

I am saddened by this perspective on life. At times I too come down with a 24 hour version of this syndrome. I feel as if the world may come to an end at any moment. When I pay attention to the car crash I loose sight of the police men, fire men, and pedestrians that have all sacrificed to aid in reconciling the situation. I long to be disinterested in car crashes, and riveted by good Samaritans. That is why I find hope in the tv show "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition".

This show does show a car crash, usually a family in dire need of humanitarian help. Most have experienced great tragedy. ABC then swoops in, gives the family a week long vacation, and remodels, or rebuilds their house. The show focuses not on the car crash, but on the road to healing, while encouraging viewers to learn about life through a families tragedies.

I LOVE IT. I nearly cry every time I see the show. For me it is a triumphal Jesus, dancing on pessimistic tendencies of sinful nature. At times I feel bogged down by the pessimistic attitude the devil tries to tempt us with. But, after watching this show I am renewed with a sense of optimism: car crashes are the exception - good Samaritans are the standard.

2 Comments:

At 11:16 AM , Blogger Kristi said...

I couldn't agree more, Adam. So many of the shows that I don't choose to watch, and even some of those that I do, are all about the suffering and misery of this life. Who has been shot? Who is having an affair? Who has been raped? Who is being humiliated? EM shows so much that is good with people - generosity, care, compassion. Tears flow freely around our house each week when we watch, as well.

 
At 8:47 PM , Blogger Jason Hill said...

EMHE is one of my favs as well. I always hold my breath when they yell, "BUS DRIVER, move that BUS!"

Good stuff.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home