Tuesday, October 07, 2008

I've got Joy, down in my heart...


I have been thinking about joy quite a bit lately. I don't consider myself to be an overly joyous person, in fact I would think most people would see me as cynical and frumpy. I long to be a person who shines joy into others, but it doesn't come easily to me.

Paul has some interesting thoughts on joy. In Galatians 5 he mentions that joy is a fruit of the spirit, not a state of being but the effect of some cause. Outside of this writing Paul and other new testament writers don't generally excite me with what they say about joy. Here are some of those thoughts:

Paul says in 2 Corinthians 8:2 that "Out of the most severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity."

The writer of Hebrews says "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning it's shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."

James writes "Consider it pure joy my brothers when ever you face trials of many kinds..."

If you were to ask average Americans what the definition of joy is, they would largely give you a definition closely related to happiness if not that it was happiness altogether. The new testament writers seem to think of joy as the effect of trials or persecution, they seem to say that joy and happiness are somewhat contradicting. Both seem to be effects of different causes, one from desires of the flesh and the other from desires of the soul. 

I have heard it said that money can't buy you happiness, and I think that is largely false. I have had money, and it made me very happy. In fact the more money I had the happier I think I was. That happiness came at the cost of not being a very joyful person, it brought emptiness, and no matter how happy I seemed to be it didn't last long before I felt I needed to buy more.

As a disciple of Jesus I am now trying to live with as little money as possible so that happiness is not a temptation, and so that through my trials of making ends meet and relying on God's providence to take care of me I will bear more fruit called joy.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 6:58 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Really, really good thoughts, Adam. For a long, long time, I spent a lot of effort pursuing happiness in my life. When I found it, it also lasted for a moment and then left a deeper emptiness. An emptiness I filled with all sorts of things that were not God. And it's funny, but now I don't feel the need to pursue joy. It is something that the Spirit produces in us. Not that I allow for the Spirit to produce it all the time and not that I don't fall back into pursuing happiness, but that joy is a work of God, not a work of me.

 
At 9:23 PM , Blogger J. B. said...

You and your family have in the least been bringing a lot of happiness to my life the last few weeks. Thanks for that. It makes me dread life less.

 
At 6:26 PM , Blogger Luke Coles said...

Thank you for sharing. This is good stuff.

 
At 5:43 PM , Blogger Kristi said...

Josh and I have been talking about Joy alot lately. How to get to, keep it, hold on to it but most importantly how to allow God to give us joy. Its not something we currently have but desire to, although sometimes desire is not enough . . . faithfully walking with the Lord and giving yourself to Him helps produce Joy and Peace and Love and Patience and Kindness and Goodness and Faithfulness and Self-Control and Gentless. All things we long for but don't feel like we have. More thoughts on this but maybe I should write a blog.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home