Monday, September 08, 2008

I hate politics

I'm not a big fan of politics. I don't enjoy talking or listening about the direction of our country, nor do I generally care. Having said that I am thinking about voting this year for the first time in my short 10 years of eligibility. Honestly the newest Poli-star Obama has me captivated. Not because of his good looks, his well articulated speeches, or his diverse background. It's because of his thoughts on abortion.

the democratic party has largely been pro-choice, and Obama's stance will follow. But the thought process he went through to get there is beautiful. Don't get me wrong, I believe abortion is wrong, and as an adopted child I believe in alternate options. Obama states that abortion is wrong and that human life is valuable even at early stages in pregnancy. But at some point in time there are going to be unwanted babies, and Obama believes that until we as a  nation are ready to take in unwanted babies we should allow other people to choose their own path.

Jesus says: “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." Matt 7:3-5

I think he meant what he said. I am not willing to take a stand on abortion until I am ready to start adopting babies.

This wise thinking is exactly what we need as a leader for our country, and since I don't think Jesus wants the gig, I may vote for Obama.

4 Comments:

At 9:53 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I completely concur. I think if you are going to chose to be pro-life that means you have to care about the entirety of life and not just birth. Access to health care, education and proper nutrition are some of the things that should be taken into consideration in a pro-life stance. I think we also must consider that if abortion is criminalized that abortions will continue illegally and likely in unsafe conditions. I'm not willing to deal with those consequences yet.

 
At 9:18 PM , Blogger Allan W. said...

Reading, thinking, digesting your arguments. I'm glad to see these issues discussed.

I'm weary of the abortion issue being the singular defining issue for faith and politics. There are other issues that are important, too.

 
At 3:39 PM , Blogger Billyboy said...

Good stuff Adam! I have to agree with you on the tiresome reterick that we get bomarded with on TV. It really discourages me to see two men of high character and faith forced to tare each other down in order to lead the country. Kind of a backwards way of doing things.

 
At 10:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/viewarticle.php?selectedarticle=2008.10.14_George_Robert_Obama%27s%20Abortion%20Extremism_.xml

Here is a good article that may be enlightening on this subject. I hope you can cut and paste it.

It is not just about abortion. Do we consider all human life sacred or not? Or is it OK to cull the herd for the sake of convenience.

I also find it sad that we are "weary" of this topic. That was said about the fight against slavery as well. There were more pressing issues at hand.

All men are endowed by their creator with LIFE, liberty and the pursuit of happiness ( but the last is not allowed anymore either if you end up successful you must let the government decided who you will share your wealth with. )

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home