Monday, July 03, 2006

Dogma - The Secret of Life Revealed


I really enjoy Kevin Smith and his writing/directing prowess. But I think the best of his creations is Dogma. This is a brilliant movie which makes fun of religion - sometimes distastefully. But unlike most Hollywood political agenda's, Kevin Smith's movie offers a solution. Kevin refutes many of the Catholic churches (and others for that matter) traditions. The basic gist of the movie is we have lost site of true spirituality in our hypocritical religiosity. He then suggests that true spirituality is found in faith and ideas (not beliefs) shared in our relationships. I love this thought and I think it has a great Biblical model - Jesus.

Jesus and his apostles did not plan and execute vacation Bible schools, clothing drives, Christmas services, seeker services, coffee houses, and any other church outreach activities. Smith implies that these things corrupt the truth, but fit our agenda. Jesus and his apostles just lived! The most important thing to Jesus were all the people who crossed his path every day. He made time and effort to love them in extraordinary ways. He also concerned him self with deepening his friendship with his father and his apostles. He took time to be with his friends and talk with his friends challenging them to be true disciples.
I think about Yahweh creating me for the purpose of having relationship with him, and I can't help but think that he enjoys our relationships too. The relationships we have with each other are extensions of our relationship with Yahweh. We are created to be in relationships with anyone and everyone for the purpose of teaching and giving Yahweh's love.

"Look at this woman kneeling here. When I entered your home, you didn't offer me water to wash the dust from my feet, but she has washed them with her tears and wiped them with her hair.
45 You didn't give me a kiss of greeting, but she has kissed my feet again and again from the time I first came in. 46 You neglected the courtesy of olive oil to anoint my head, but she has anointed my feet with rare perfume. 47 I tell you, her sins-and they are many-have been forgiven, so she has shown me much love. But a person who is forgiven little shows only little love." 48 Then Jesus said to the woman, "Your sins are forgiven."
Luke 7:44-48

2 Comments:

At 6:50 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Didn't see the movie, but I might have to now...

 
At 9:01 AM , Blogger Jason Hill said...

This movie spring boarded quite a discussion with an old coworker of mine, a self-proclaimed pagan. Gave me a perfect chance to talk about authentic faith in contrast to man's messed up system of religion.

Also, I caught the Comedy Central version, so all the swears were dropped. If anyone is interested I'd recommend that.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home